Sleep is paramount to our health. During the recommended eight hours of sleep per day, the body repairs itself. Remember, sleep should not be considered a luxury, but an important component of a healthful lifestyle. In fact, research on the effects of sleep deprivation or insomnia shows that short-term restriction of sleep results in a variety of adverse physiologic effects —including hypertension, activation of the sympathetic nervous system, impairment of glucose control and increased inflammation. The lack of sleep increases the risk of mortality and cardiovascular disease
Now that you’re familiar with the devastating effects of lack of sleep, we’re sure you're wondering what your options are if you suffer from sleep disorders like insomnia or sleep apnea—especially if you’d prefer not to take harsh, side-effect-riddled medication. Well, dear friend, look no further because your friends at The Point of Health Wellness Center have compiled a list of five essential oils that will have you counting sheep and falling asleep in record time.
Aid # 1
Lavender is your one-stop shop in regards to sleep.
- Reduces anxious feelings and promotes peaceful sleep
- Soothes occasional skin irritations when used topically
Aid # 2
Cedarwood sets the proverbial stage for relaxation when used in diffusers.
- Creates a comforting and relaxing environment
- Soothes the mind and body; woody scent promotes a relaxing environment
- Helps keep skin looking healthy
Aid # 3
Serenity, when used externally, can be a sleep aid and also a means to reduce stress. It creates a restful environment at bedtime, with a calming and soothing aroma that encourages a tranquil atmosphere.
- Apply one to two drops to the hands and inhale throughout the day to help reduce life’s daily stressors, or diffuse at night to help quiet a restless baby or child
- Apply to bottoms of feet at bedtime to help unwind before going to sleep
- Add two to three drops into a warm bath with epsom salts to create a relaxing, renewing experience
- Apply two to three to the back of the neck or on the heart for feelings of peace
Aid # 4
Petitgrain is not only an aid in getting to sleep, but can also improve your health by boosting your immune system.
- Powerful antioxidant support
- Helps promote a restful sleep
Neroli is derived from the flowers of the bitter orange tree.
- Helps reduce feelings of anxiousness, which in turn aids in falling asleep
- Soothes the skin, as well as encourages relaxation
If you find yourself suffering from lack of sleep, this list of essential oils will be of great help, especially during these uncertain and stressful times. Essential oils, in addition to regular acupuncture treatments, can keep you feeling healthy, strong and well-rested.
Stay safe and rest easy, knowing that your friends at The Point of Health Wellness Center are here to help you create your best-laid plans for physical and mental health.