It’s a well known fact that Acupuncture is great for boosting the immune system, pain relief and improving your overall health. But we’re willing to bet you hadn’t considered Acupuncture as a fertility treatment.
Many women have felt the tug of wanting to hear the pitter patter of little feet only to find conception difficult and in some cases impossible. According to the CDC 13.1% of women aged 15-49 do not have multiple births, 16.2 % of married women aged 15-49 do not have multiple births, 8.8% of women aged 15-49 are infertile and 12.7 % of women aged 15-49 have used infertility services. These are staggering statistics and if you’re a woman who’s dying to have a baby, a little scary. But have no fear acupuncture and The Point of Health and Wellness Center are here!
Regular acupuncture treatments in conjunction with assisted reproduction therapy has been proven to drastically improve the chance of conception. As stated by a study performed by the National Library of Medicine, 160 patients who had good quality embryos and were undergoing assisted reproductive therapy were divided into the 2 groups through random selection. Group 1 received no acupuncture treatments, while Group 2 received regular acupuncture treatments for 25 minutes before and after embryo transfer. In the group who received acupuncture 34 of 80 patients (42.5%) got pregnant whereas the pregnancy rate was only 26.3% (21 out of 80 patients) in the group that did not receive acupuncture.
Here’s how the treatment works:
- The treatment increase blood flow to the uterus, which improves chances of an ovum implantation on the uterine wall
- It reduces stress and anxiety as stressful situations can significantly decrease fertility
- Creates homeostasis in the body by normalize hormonal and endocrine system, helping to regulate ovulation especially in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- As well as positivity affect the hypothalamic pituitary- ovarian axis, a component of the female reproductive system that plays a key role in fertility.
- And regulates menstrual cycles.
So let’s review.
If you’re a woman who’s trying to conceive acupuncture is for you! Acupuncture treatments when combined with reproductive therapies is a proven method to increase a woman's chance of conceiving. Regular acupuncture treatments increase blood and oxygen in the body. When there is good blood and oxygen flow in the body, the body has all it needs to heal itself and creates the perfect fetal environment. We know the road to conception can be long and hard one but be encouraged you’re not on this journey alone The Point of Health and Wellness Center is here for you! And remember everyone's path to pregnancy is different so be patient.